The Waiting Game

All your applications are submitted. Some of your programs may (or may not) have started sending out interview invitations. Perhaps you have already received a rejection(s) and are still waiting for that first invite. For me personally, the waiting is the hardest part. Up until this point, I was constantly busy. I was studying for the GRE. I was writing personal statements. I was finishing applications. I was working toward my goal. And now? Everything is out of my hands. I have a hard time letting go and accepting that nothing I can do now will influence the outcome. Worrying and stressing yourself out will not change anything or make the time go by any faster! If anything, it will just make this waiting period seem interminable.

"When will School X send out interview invitations? They were already sent out by this time last year." "Is School Y sending out invitations in waves or only on one day? I haven't gotten an invitation yet, but others have." "I didn't get an invitation from School A, so does that mean I won't get an invitation from School B or School C?" Check out my previous post for more on this last topic. https://futuregeneticcounselor.blogspot.com/2019/01/dealing-with-rejection-part-i-interview.html

These may be some of the thoughts running through your brain. It's easy to get caught up in your anxiety, but not helpful. So how do you cope?

Image result for waiting game

1. Stay busy (especially on weekends when you aren't in class or working.) Plan fun things to do with friends. For example, I went for a walk on the beach on Saturday and checked out a new brunch place with a friend on Sunday. Avocado toast can make everything better :)

2. Enjoy having time to relax! Now that your applications are submitted, take a breather. You've worked hard! Read a fun book. Find a new show on Netflix to binge. Take up a new hobby! Learn to bake or knit. Personally, I love knitting. When I'm anxious, I'm very fidgety and knitting helps me relax.

3. Exercise. As Elle Woods famously said, "Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy." During the application process, I definitely did not have any kind of regular routine. Regular cardio and the occasional yoga class is really helping to improve my mood.

4. Journal. Putting your thoughts on paper can be a way of releasing your anxiety. Write about how you're worried that you won't get an interview or that you won't get accepted to a GC program. Then, once you close the notebook, close the door on those thoughts. Giving yourself dedicated time to worry can help keep you from spending the entire day in a brain fog.

5. Try out CBT techniques. For example, considering the worst-case scenario can help you realize that even if that happens, you still will be okay. A technique I find helpful is filling out an "ABC" chart. See link below for more information.

https://iveronicawalsh.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/cbtafg_abcdextract_handout.pdf

6. Consider prayer. If you are like me and not religious, consider addressing the universe. "Universe, I trust that you will lead me to where I need to be, even though I may not understand everything that happens. I'm letting go. I have no control over this process now." Saying this out loud may help you "let go" and relieve some of the tension you are feeling.

7. Mindfulness meditation. There are some fantastic apps. My personal favorite is Buddhify. Many meditation apps, such as Headspace require you to purchase a subscription, but with Buddhify you get a ton of meditations for a one-time fee of $4.99! Note: I am not a sales rep or in any way affiliated. I just genuinely find this app useful.

I hope some of these suggestions prove helpful as we continue the "waiting game." Remember, that these feelings will not last forever. In a few months, you will either be accepted to a masters program or able to move forward and prepare to reapply (if you choose.) This waiting limbo is the worst part of the process, but it will get better!


Comments