Dealing with Rejection (Interview Season)

Genetic counseling programs are competitive. It is highly unlikely that you will be invited to interview at every program to which you applied. Not getting an interview does not mean that you are unqualified. It does not mean that you won't get any interviews! All it means is that the program is not the right fit for you at this time. Programs receive hundreds of applications for an average of 8-10 spots. Unfortunately, they are unable to interview every qualified applicant. Honestly, I can only guess as to how programs actually pick which applicants to interview. There is no clear formula and each program may be looking for different qualities in their applicants! One school may place more emphasis on strong performance in prerequisite courses, another may prefer candidates with multiple years of advocacy experience, and some programs may favor candidates who are a few years out of undergrad.

I've only heard back from one school so far and it was a rejection. Interview notifications were released and I anxiously waited, refreshing my e-mail. Nothing came. Eventually, a few days later, I received official confirmation that I had not been invited to interview.

At first, I was devastated and I immediately went into panic mode. What if I don't get any interview offers?! What am I doing wrong?! Am I not good enough? I must be unqualified! 

Guess what? Most of those thoughts are simply NOT true. I didn't do anything wrong. I am qualified. I'm not saying I'm perfect because I'm not. Nobody is! I do feel I have some weaknesses in my application, mainly the length of my more "traditional" advocacy experiences in crisis-counseling. The truth is that I still have seven programs to hear back from and I have no way of predicting which school(s) will offer me an interview. At least I know that I still have several chances! One school's decision not to interview me does not in any way indicate how the rest of the interview season will go.

How Did I Cope?

Honestly, I spent a couple days feeling extremely disappointed and worried. Once I realized I wasn't going to be offered an interview, I couldn't focus. What helped me was talking to other applicants who had also been rejected (from this program or other programs) via the Discord app. It helped me feel less alone and showed me that so many other smart, talented people also did not receive interviews. Additionally, exercising and yoga were helpful. I'm finding that that's been super important in keeping my overall stress levels down during this anxiety-provoking process!

I really came to a place of acceptance a few days later, while volunteering at my regular shift at a  shelter. I took a crisis call and hearing this woman's story really helped put things in perspective. I am so fortunate that the biggest deal in my life is not getting an interview for a graduate program! I am healthy, I have a job, I have a cozy apartment, I have friends and family that love me, and (for the most part) I am happy! Writing out gratitude lists can really help change your outlook. Also, imagining the worst-case scenario and realizing that I still would be okay has helped. Even if I don't get a single interview, my self-worth and view of myself should not change. I can gain more experience and apply again the next year. It's never a dead-end!

Here's hoping for some interview invites to come my way soon!!



Image result for self care

Image Source: Schurig Center for Brain Injury Recovery




Comments

  1. Thank you so much for your article! It is exactly what I needed to hear today. Glad we are all hanging in there together!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment